Sunday, June 28, 2009

What Globalization Really Means

Before explaining the title of this post, I am happy to report that Candace and Sara both arrived safely, on their Kenya Airways flight, this morning. In other words, the program has started! They are both back at our house sleeping so I will leave it to them to fill you in about their arrival in Kigali. Tomorrow morning, our programming officially starts and with it more consistent updates to the blog.

Now, a few sentences about the title. In second year university, we studied the definition of globalization. At the end of the course, we determined that it was a "space and time compression." It means that information can travel around the world at unprecedented speeds. Two days ago, I experienced globalization. I was sitting at an internet cafe in Kigali, in the centre of Africa, when the person to my rights announced that Michael Jackson had, to everyone's shock, passed away in California. I think that's proof we live in a globalized world.

Best,

Raffi

p.s. Umuzungu, not umuzungo

No comments:

Post a Comment