Monday, June 29, 2009

It's not easy!!

I've been in Rwanda for two days now, and at the risk of sounding silly, I feel as
though I have been here for a very long time. I knew it was the right decision for
me to come here, but the Western world gives you so many reasons to remain in its
zone of comfort. I feel extremely lucky and proud to have found a way to make it
here with three other amazing Canadians. Though I must say the list of amazing people I have met in a mere two days in Rwanda is incredible.

Since I have been here, there are many things i have thought about (even with my half functioning brain due to jet lag and various other reasons). I will share a few of my thoughts.
Firstly, I have found that the Western portrayal of this country (along with many others i'm sure), and the precautions that one must take are totally exarcerbated. This country, though extremely different from our sheltered life in Canada, is very safe. The people are more friendly and open than I have ever experienced, and aren't really bothered by white people. Though i'm sure the latter may change once we are out of the capital.

Secondly, it seems that though this country is trying desperately to move on from the genocide
and what happened fifteen years ago, the people continue to be completely surrounded by it's reality. Today we met with an amazing man who was the Executive Secretary of the National Commission for the Fight against Genocide, who had previously been the Minister of Justice, and he himself had lost his wife and all of his children. He kept repeating "c'est pas facile, mais c'est une processus.' I just kept asking myself how I could possibly understand what this man, and so many others have to deal with on a daily basis.

Thirdly, there is such a sense of hope among the people I have met. After meeting with AVEGA, an organization that is founded to help widows of the genocide, I left feeling totally humbled, emotional, and inspired. Despite what many of members of AVEGA have been through, we learned that one of their biggest successes is helping widows accept what has happened to them, and to continue living their lives. This country is amazingly inspirational in what it has overcome. Though there are certainly many things that could be improved, the country lives together as Rwandans, and never as Tutsi and Hutu. I have tried to imagine if we would be able to say the same if something similar had occurred in Canada. I tend to think not!

Signing out,

Sara

1 comment:

  1. amazing sara! i can't even imagine what it must be like over there, as i am living in my little north american bubble. what we see on tv isn't always reality is it. i'm so glad that you are there and able to break down those barriers. keep up the good work. i love you.
    tanya

    ReplyDelete