Monday, June 29, 2009

One Liners

No. I am not talking about pick-up lines. By one liners, I am talking about quotes or phrases that one hears and does not, cannot, erver forget. As the end of our first full day ends, I already find myself with a handful of these memorable one liners. I will share a few with you below.

The first came from an elderly survivor who chose to speak at a commemoration ceremony we attended last night. He said that so many people were murdered during the genocide that he sometimes wonders whethers the victims think that we [the survivors] are the ones who have perished. I am still trying to come to terms with the weight of his words.

The second, which was a quote on the back of a child survivor's t-shirt was merely a variation of a metaphor I have often heard. It said: There is ALWAYS light at the end of the tunnel. The phrase is fitting because hope is the theme for the 15th commemoration of the genocide.

The third was not so much a saying, a quote or a line, but more so an idea or a symbol. Indeed, this afternoon, we visited an organization designed to provide support for the widows of the genocide. At the risk of sounding cliched, I will never forget the strength on the faces of the women that we met at the centre.

That's it for me for today. I have many more thoughts and ideas but I will give them more time to develop.

Best friom Kigali,

Raffi

No comments:

Post a Comment